Sunday, January 13, 2013

Creamy Baked Spaghetti

My husband doesn't mind spaghetti, but he doesn't love it.  I've tried baked spaghetti a few times over the years, but I am always disappointed with it. Usually for two reasons: (1) no matter how much sauce I add, it always seems dry and (2) baked spaghetti usually involves a creamy component (ricotta, cottage cheese, cream cheese), but somehow it all blends together and it never tastes creamy.  Well, this recipe below delivers on both counts.  I did add a little extra sauce (because of my fear of dry baked spaghetti) and I used a different shaped pasta (gasp! the scandal!), but either way, this dish is creamy and saucy, just like you're hoping it's going to be when you pin it!

I adapted the recipe from Plain Chicken.com and stole the pic from that site as well.  As I said, I used the tri-colored rotini because 4 ounces has one serving of vegetables! Don't tell you kids (or husband).

Oh, and this recipe is quick and easy - would I ever share one that wasn't?

Creamy Baked Spaghetti


Ingredients
12 oz spaghetti (or shape of your choice..go wild, try bow ties!)
1-2 (28 ounce) jars prepared spaghetti sauce (The orginal recipe calls for 1 jar, I used about 1.5)
1 lb lean ground beef
2 tsp Italian seasoning, divided
1 tsp garlic powder, divided
8 ounces cream cheese
1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, grated, divided
1-1.5 cups mozzarella cheese (I used an Italian blend)

1. Preheat oven to 350 F degrees.

2. In a skillet, brown the ground beef until cooked through, season with 1 tsp Italian seasoning and 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder; drain fat and stir in spaghetti sauce. Set aside.

3. Cook spaghetti according to directions on packet. Drain and place cooked spaghetti in bowl. Add cream cheese, 1 tsp. Italian seasoning and 1/2 tsp garlic powder. Stir until cream cheese is melted and the spaghetti is thoroughly coated.

4. Lightly grease a 9x13" pan. Spread a small amount of meat sauce in the bottom of the dish. Put spaghetti on top of sauce, sprinkle 1/4 cup of Parmesan cheese, then top with remaining meat sauce. Sprinkle remaining parmesan cheese on top and the mozzarella/Italiam blend over top.

5. Bake for 30 minutes, until bubbly. Eat and collect accolades! 

1 comment:

  1. Sounds yummy! Real comfort food on a cold winter night - thanks Mom

    ReplyDelete