Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Gooey, Delicious Low Calorie Reese's Cupcakes?

So I found this recipe on pinterest and I have to say I was a little skeptical. Supposedly you can make a cake mix with only seltzer water and yogurt?  I don't bake that often because I don't really like to and also because nearly every baked good yields an ungodly amount of calories. My husband loves when baked goods appear, but we have been on a serious baked-goods-drought around here!  So I decided to try these from createlive.com:


Oh, did I mention they are only 96 calories each???  Really!

Check out the original recipe (and step-by-step photos) HERE.  I made a few changes (mostly just "light" versions of ingredients).  Here's my version (makes 24 cupcakes):

- 1 Devil's Food Cake dry cake mix
- 1/4 cup plain, fat-free Greek yogurt
- 3/4 can seltzer water (I use 1 1/3 cup because I could only find large bottles)
- 24 mini Reese's cups, frozen

- 1 8oz tub of light cool whip
- 3 Tbsp peanut butter
- 3 tsp brown sugar

1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Then simply combine the cake mix with the seltzer water and yogurt. Distribute into muffin tins (lined with cups) and plop one Reese's in the center of each one. Don't push down too much, they will sink as they bake.  Then, follow the box directions to bake (about 18-24 minutes).

2. Frosting: mix cool whip and brown sugar, then add the peanut butter and beat until smooth.

3.  Let cupcakes cool completely then frost!

I put the frosting in a ziploc bag and "piped" the frosting.  My only complaint is that the frosting is a little runny, maybe because I used light cool whip?  A friend of mine who makes serious cupcakes, suggested unflavored gelatin to thicken it, but I don't have things like that on hand, so I'll have to try that next time.

These are absolutely delicious and do not taste low-fat, low-cal or anything "low" for that matter! They just taste delicious! And the best part? Only 96 calories per cupcake!

Here's the breakdown: 96 calories / 11 carbs / 5 g fat / 2 g protein


5 comments:

  1. Love it!

    Couple things:

    I tried it with the 3/4 cup sparkling water. The first batch came out more dry, more brownie like, and it didn't seem like it would make 24 (I ended up getting 18 total). I decided to stretch out the rest of the mix with more seltzer water. This batch came out more cake-like and spongy :)

    So next time, I will use your amount of the sparkling water.


    With the frosting, I did 3 tbsp of PB and let my "piping bag" set up in the fridge and that seemed to help with the runniness.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I add up the calories on these it comes out to more than 96 calories...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you're right! This recipe is old and now I'm not sure where this nutritional content came from! I'll remove it for now and update the next time I make them. Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Actually, I just looked back at the recipe and I made 24 cupcakes, not 12, so that might account for the low calories? They were small. I don't have all these ingredients on hand, but I'll definitely do some research b/c now I'm curious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this recipe! I mentioned it in my blog and gave you credit, but wanted to make sure that that was okay :)
    They turned out amazing and I appreciate you posting this!

    ReplyDelete