Saturday, April 28, 2012

Olive Garden at Home and the BEST Tomato Soup EVER!

My husband loves tomato basil soup. I've made it from scratch many times and always try new recipes because I just haven't found one I completely love, or one that we BOTH completely love.  Well, the search ends here, tonight because this recipe is the best.  I found it on....wait for it.... pinterest!  The author of the blog also claims it to be the best so I couldn't resist.  The blog is Everyday Occasions and the soup is delicious. I suggest you just plan on making this whenever you're in a tomato soup kind of mood - forget the canned stuff!

The Best Tomato Basil Soup


Ingredients

3 cloves of garlic, minced (I used 4 cloves because I have a garlic addiction)
2 tablespoons of olive oil (I used coconut oil because it is my new experiment)
2 - 14 oz. cans of crushed tomatoes
1 - 14 oz. can of whole tomatoes  (I used a can of fire roasted diced tomatoes)
2 cups of stock (I used vegetable)
1 tsp of sea salt
1 tsp of sugar
1/2 tsp of fresh ground black pepper
1/4 cup of heavy cream (I used fat free half n half)
3 tablespoons of fresh basil, julienned
parmesan cheese (use fresh, it's just better)

Directions
In a saucepan, saute garlic in olive oil on medium heat for 1 minute - being careful not to burn the garlic.  Add the crushed tomatoes.  Add the whole tomatoes one at a time, squeezing them into the pan to break them up.  Add the juice from the whole tomatoes, as well.  Add stock, salt, pepper and sugar.  Cook the soup on medium at a simmer for 10 minutes. **At this point I ran an inversion blender through the soup because I like it smooth and not chunky.**  Then reduce the heat to low and stir in heavy cream and basil.  Serve topped with Parmesan cheese.

And a salad...

Copy Cat Olive Garden Salad
We had this soup with an Olive Garden-esque salad.  I found a copy cat recipe for the dressing years ago so I can't give credit, but I've seen similar recipes on pinterest.  

The dressing:
1/2 cup mayo (real stuff, none of that Miracle Whip business)
1/3 cup vinegar
1 tsp. vegetable oil
2 Tbsp. corn syrup
2 Tbsp. Parmesan, shredded
2 Tbsp. Romano (I've used more Parm or Mozzarella when in a bind)
1/4 tsp. garlic salt
1/2 tsp. Italian seasoning
1/2 tsp. parsley
1 Tbsp. lemon juice

Process in a food processor, blender or with an inversion blender. Enjoy!

The salad:
Chopped romaine
Mild banana peppers
Sliced red onion
Black olives
Tomato
Croutons
Shredded Parmesan

The soup is only 84 calories for a 1 cup serving! Out of laziness, I just entered "Olive Garden Signature Salad" into My Fitness Pal and it said one plate was 200 calories.  I think a cup of this rich, hearty soup with a plate of tangy, flavorful for under 300 calories is a steal!  I had a piece of homemade beer bread and found it to be an exquisite meal! 

No comments:

Post a Comment