Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Lemon Poppy Seed Zucchini Muffins

Here is yet another use for the zucchini that may be overflowing in your garden. I like plain old zucchini bread, but I get tired of it. These muffins (which can also be made as a bread loaf or in a bundt pan) are so good and, if you have a picky eater, you wouldn't even know there's zucchini in them!  I used a large zucchini so I had to scoop the seeds out. I also peeled it because the skin is tougher in the large ones. The peeled zucchini meant no little green specks in the batter (a good way to hide the veggie!).

Lemon Poppy Seed Zucchini Muffins
This recipe comes from Modern Alternative Mama.com. I replaced sprouted flour with half whole wheat, half white. You could use all wheat or all white as well.

Ingredients:
2 c. flour (I used whole wheat)
1 tsp. baking soda
½ tsp. salt
¼ tsp. nutmeg (I always use pumpkin or apple pie spice because I have it on hand)
Zest of 1 lemon
2 tbsp. poppy seeds

3 tbsp. butter, softened
½ c. sugar
1 egg
¼ c. maple syrup (I used the real stuff)
1 tsp. vanilla
Juice of 1 lemon (easy thanks to my fancy new juicer!)
1 c. zucchini, shredded (peeling is optional)

Directions:

1.  Preheat oven to 350. 

2.  In a large bowl, mix all dry ingredients thoroughly.

3.  In a medium bowl, cream butter and sugar. 

4.  Add egg and maple syrup and blend together. 

5.  Add vanilla, lemon juice and zucchini and stir until smooth. 

6.  Pour liquid ingredients into dry ingredients and stir until just combined. 

7.  Pour into greased muffin tins, loaf pan, or bundt pan. Bake muffins for 15-20 minutes, bread/cake for 40 – 50 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean.

I will definitely keep this recipe around. The muffins were so good. Not too lemony (in fact, I'd like a bit more lemon flavor) and very moist. A good, basic poppy seed muffin recipe. 

No comments:

Post a Comment