Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Quick and Delicious Hamburger Buns

Found this recipe from Taste of Home via Pinterest. I've wanted a quick and easy recipe for buns, so I was excited to try this out.  I read all the reviews and made a few adjustments. My recipe is below. The original recipe can be found here. These were, just as the recipe promised, easy and so delicious.  On a day below 80 degrees, I will probably make several batches and freeze them. You can freeze the dough before they rise or after the baked buns cool.  They would also be great shaped into sub or hot dog buns.  I used half wheat flour and half white. They were good, but very wheaty - I'd try them with just white flour next time. I really may never buy hamburger buns again!

Quick and Delicious Hamburger Buns
from Taste of Home.com
40-Minute Hamburger Buns Recipe


Ingredients
- 2 Tbsp active dry yeast (I used fast rising because that's what I had)
- 1 cup, plus 2 Tbsp. warm water (110-115 degrees) - this is just HOT water from your tap
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp. salt
- 3 - 3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour (I used 3 cups for the dough and a half cup when kneading)
- 1 egg white
- 1 tsp. cold water

Directions
1. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add melted butter and sugar; let stand for 5 minutes.

2. Add the egg, salt, and enough flour to form a soft dough (I added 3 cups)

3. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 3-5 minutes. Do not let rise.

4. Divide into 10 pieces (obviously 8 would yield larger buns, 12 would yield smaller); shape each into a ball. Place 3 inches apart on a greased baking sheet. I patted mine down a bit so they were more hamburger-bun-looking, rather than dinner-roll-looking.

5. Let rise for 20-30 minutes.

6. Whisk egg white and water together then brush tops of rolls.


7. Bake at 425 degrees for 8-12 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pan to wire rack to cool.

Here's the nutrition information from Taste of Home. This assumes you make 12 rolls. I made 8 and they were just slightly larger than the cheap ones you buy in the store.


Nutritional Facts1 serving (1 each) equals 195 calories, 7 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 18 mg cholesterol, 204 mg sodium, 29 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 5 g protein.

Originally published as 40-Minute Hamburger Buns in Best of Country Breads , p45

No comments:

Post a Comment