Sunday, March 4, 2012

Chai Oatmeal

So originally, this recipe for Overnight Chai Steel-Oats interested me
overnight steel cut oats
But I forgot to get some steel-cut oats at the store so I decided to invent a form of Chai-Instant Oats.  I used this recipe as well and basically combined the two ideas.  Here's my recipe:

This made two 3/4-cup servings:

1/2 cup quick-coooking oats
1 cup milk
1/8 cup brown sugar
1/8 tsp cinnamon
1/8 tsp cardamom
1/8 tsp ginger
1/8 tsp nutmeg
1 Tbs ground flax seed
1/8 tsp vanilla extract

I threw it all in a pot and brought it to a boil, then removed it from heat.  I stirred consistently to keep it from sticking.  It looked something like this:

and it was REALLY good.  It did have the Chai Tea flavor profile and it took me about 10 minutes to make! It was a nice change from my usual plain or maple and brown sugar flavors.  A brilliant idea would be to mix up the seasonings and then they'd be readily available to  add to oatmeal, coffee, tea... anything!

4 comments:

  1. Andrea this looks SOOO good! I think I'm going to make it for breakfast tomorrow! :) Yum!

    -Hope

    ReplyDelete
  2. It would be good with pecans or walnuts or raisins too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks great! I like toasted coconut in my oatmeal and (a guilty pleasure) a half dozen chocolate chips. Mom

    ReplyDelete
  4. Toasted coconut and chocolate = can't lose!

    ReplyDelete