Friday, March 2, 2012

Those Fancy NYT Cookies from Pinterest

I continuously see this pin floating around pinterest for these New York Times Chocolate Chip Cookies.  Well yesterday I had to leave work suddenly with a migraine and, since finding a sub last minute is a hassle, three of my co-workers covered my classes for me.  There is nothing more horrible than when a fellow co-worker comes to you with watery eyes and says "Can you do me a favor?" And there goes your planning period.  So I thought I'd make it up to them by bringing everyone cookies. You can't hate a person who brings cookies!  So this was the perfect time to attempt this recipe.

 NYT Chocolate Chip Cookies
Here's the original recipes from the blog The Other Side of 50
2 cups minus 2 tablespoons (8 1/2 ounces) cake flour **see my note below!
1 2/3 cups (8 1/2 ounces) bread flour
1 1/4 teaspoons baking soda
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoons coarse salt
2 1/2 sticks (1 1/4 cups) unsalted butter
1 1/4 cups (10 ounces) light brown sugar
1 cup plus 2 tablespoons (8 ounces) granulated sugar
2 large eggs
2 teaspoons natural vanilla extract
8 ounces semi-sweet chocolate, chopped into chunks
4 ounces unsweetened chocolate, grated
8 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chips

1. Sift flours, baking soda, baking powder and salt into a bowl. Set aside.

2. Using a mixer fitted with paddle attachment, cream butter and sugars together until very light, about 5 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each addition. Stir in the vanilla. Reduce speed to low, add dry ingredients and mix until just combined, 5 to 10 seconds. Stir all chocolate into dough using a wooden spoon. Press plastic wrap against dough and refrigerate for 24 to 36 hours. Dough may be used in batches, and can be refrigerated for up to 72 hours. (**see note below)

3. When ready to bake, preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a nonstick baking mat. Set aside.

4. Drop  the dough by tablespoonfuls on to the prepared cookie sheet and bake until golden brown, but still soft, 10-12 minutes. Transfer sheet to a wire rack for cooling. 


Minor Alterations
First, I put off making this recipe for a while because I did not want to purchase a bag of cake flour and  a bag of bread flour.  THEN, I discovered this tasty little tidbit: you can make your own cake flour! Check it out here.  I did buy a bag of bread flour, but this just means an excuse to bake some bread... and I'm okay with that.


Also, I happened to have a dark chocolate candy bar (85% cocao) from Trader Joe's in my pantry.  It's a small miracle that a bar such as this survived in my house for more than five minutes, but nonetheless, there it was!  So I chopped that up for the "chunks" that the recipe calls for.  I had a little over half a bag of mini-chocolate chips (I can't image who ate the missing half) so I used that in place of the regular chocolate chips.  Finally, because that Trader Joe's bar was SO bittersweet (emphasis on the bitter) I only used 2 ounces of the non-sweetened chocolate (one block).  Also, grating this kind of sucked and I was tired of doing it after one bar, so that's the other reason I used half as much.


Part of why I am not the greatest baker known to man is because I don't always read through the recipes carefully. So it didn't occur to me that the dough was supposed to be refrigerated for 24 hours until I was well into the process.  Instead, I refrigerated the dough for the length of time it takes to give a 2.5 year old a bath, put on jammies, and read about 100 bedtime stories (roughly an hour and a half).  Then I stored the dough in the fridge between batches.


The result?
They turned out pretty delicious.  Did you really think a cookie with over 2 cups of sugar and 3 kinds of chocolate could be bad?  They were flatter than I expected they would be, but I like the mix of sweet and bitter chocolate. I don't like things that are terribly sweet. You know that pin that keeps circulating for the Oreo wrapped in cookie dough, wrapped in brownie? That's not really my thing, and so these cookies were perfect.  My husband, on the other hand, would take that Oreo creation, add frosting, and enjoy it with a glass of Coke... he loved the cookies too. The shredded chocolate made them much prettier than the average chocolate chip cookie so that's a bonus if you are using them as gifts (which I was). The chocolate is also even distributed, which is nice, no chocolate-less bit with these cookies! In the end, I'd say this recipe is worth the time!

6 comments:

  1. Yum! Sounds super good! If this is what you give out for subbing, I'm in next time! Sure I don't have the right credentials, but its work the risk!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL - you just have to have some college and you're in as a sub! :) How did the venison stew turn out?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh! I didn't know that! Well count me in, jack can be my assistant!

    The stew turned out okay. I didn't think it was bad, and that was unexpected. Cody said it tasted "strange" but I think I put a little too much white wine.

    The recipe called for 3lbs venison (I did 1lbs)
    1 onion soup mix
    Cream of mushroom soup (I did 98% fat free)
    Garlic salt (I did a clove of garlic because the reviews said it was a bit too salty)
    some pepper
    And 1/2 a cup of red wine (I only had white ops!)
    And I put about 1 cup of water in because it was very thick.

    I also added some red skins, carrots, and a few stalks of celery. And cooked for 7 hours.

    It had a sweeter taste than I expected, but I think that was because of the wine I used. And it was still pretty thick...I should have done about 1 cup more water. Jack, who is a very picket eater ate 2 bowls of it! So that was good! I would make it again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The only time I made venison Chris and I both thought it tasted weird. I think it was a mind-over-matter kind of thing. That's awesome that Jack ate it! Dylan always surprises us and eats multiple bowls of chili when we make it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those sound awesome!

    Here's one of my favorite cookie recipes :)

    White Chocolate Chunk Macadamia Cookies
    1 c. brown sugar
    1/2 c. white sugar
    1/2 c. butter, softened
    1/2 c. margarine, softened
    1 tea. vanilla
    1 egg
    2 1/4 c. flour
    1 tea. baking soda
    1/4 tea. salt
    6 oz white chocolate baking bar, cut into chunks
    1 jar (3.25oz) macadamia nuts, coarsely chopped
    Beat butter, margarine, sugars, vanilla and egg until light and fluffy. Stir in flour, soda and salt (dough will be stiff). Stir in white chocolate and nuts. Drop on ungreased cookie sheet and bake 10-12 minutes at 350. Cool 1-2 minutes before removing from baking sheet.

    Can't wait to try some recipes from your blog! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is chris's favorite kind of cookie! Thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete