Thursday, March 29, 2012

For Once, A Recipe I Don't Like

It's not very often that I make a meal that my husband and I don't like.  Usually I can detect problems with recipes before I begin and make changes along the way.  Sometimes I make things and we think, "this would be better if...", but rarely do I throw food away.  What follows is a recipe that I threw away.

This recipe keeps circulating around Pinterest and the photo makes it look absolutely delicious.  In fact many of the reviewers liked it too (although I did find a few who agreed with me).

The recipe comes from Witty in the City and I don't like to give anything a bad review that a person made and liked themselves, but for us, this was no good. Here's the recipe:


Man-Pleasing Chicken


1.5 lb package of chicken thighs (some reviewers used breasts)
1/2 cup dijon mustard
1/4 cup maple syrup
1 Tbsp rice wine vinegar.

Preheat the oven to 450. Mix the sauce, pour it over the chicken, bake for 40 min. Easy as that!

You can see why I was drawn to this. Easy, fast, and (I hoped) delicious.  When I mixed up the sauce I was worried that it was too mustardy, but I went with it anyway and sure enough, it was too mustardy. It just tasted like chicken coated in mustard. If you absolutely LOVE mustard, this is the recipe for you, but my husband and I do not.  One reviewer suggested it would be good in the crockpot, another suggested using the sauce on pork. Both are intriguing ideas, but I think the sauce would need some work first. I felt like bacon was needed, in some capacity. I always think garlic is needed and definitely something is needed to cut the sharp mustard flavor.  The other option would be dip the chicken in the sauce then roll it in breadcrumbs or crushed corn flakes or crushed up dried onions. I might play around with this and get back to you, but in my opinion, this is one recipe you should not pin.

Happy eating!

2 comments:

  1. My opinion is that mustard & maple syrup are not a good combination. I haven't tried it myself so I'm not sure...but I don't think I would have tried this at all. :-(

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought the combination might yield a honey mustard type flavor. I didn't the ingredients sounded good, but the picture looked good so I guess I was hoping something magical would happen while in the oven! Not so.

    ReplyDelete