Monday, January 21, 2013

Accidentally Healthy Meatloaf

There is a local grocery store near me that makes very delicious meatloaf. As a result, I almost never make it from scratch because it is too easy to buy one from the local deli, pop it in the oven, and call it a day. However, Yesterday was cold and wintry and we were home all day, so it seemed like a day when I had no excuse. So I tackled a homemade meatloaf.

This recipe was originally a Rachel Ray recipe, that can be found here, but I didn't make the recipe as written. The original recipe required that you slather the meatloaf mixture in a 9x13 pan, then layer on sliced potatoes, then pour over a swiss cheese sauce. This does sound delicious, but I really wanted mashed potatoes and my small family did not need a 9x13 pan, so I made the meatloaf into two loaves and froze one.

Also, it occurred to me only later that this is a healthier take on a traditional meatloaf. It's a mix of turkey (instead of pork) and ground beef and had hidden veggies (which I SWEAR you won't even taste!). I did lay a few pieces of bacon over the top, so that ruined some of the health-factor I'm sure.

Accidentally Healthy Meatloaf
I forgot to take a picture after it cooked and I forgot, so here is a random google image for you! Ha


Ingredients
*Remember this makes 2 loaves. Cut it in half if you don't want meatloaf mania on your hands!
1 pound ground turkey (I used lean, not extra lean, b/c you want a little fat. Dark meat would be better)
1 pound ground beef
2 carrots, peeled and quartered
1 small beet, peeled and quartered
2 garlic cloves
1 onion, peeled and quartered
2 eggs
1/2 cup marinara sauce (next time I might try BBQ sauce instead)
1/2 cup plain dried breadcrumbs
1 Tbsp salt
1 tsp pepper (or more to taste)


Directions
1. Preheat your oven to 375.  Process carrots, beet, garlic, and onion in food processor (probably in batches, unless you are lucky enough to own a 12 cup, ahem) until veggies are finely chopped.

2. In a large bowl, combine turkey, beef, minced veggies, eggs, marinara, salt, pepper, and breadcrumbs. I used my hands to mix, but supposedly the bread hook of a Kitchenaid works well too. You want all the ingredients to be well-incorporated, but Bobby Flay always warns about over-mixing meatloaf. Well Bobby Flay is welcome to come mix my meatloaf if he's going to be so picky!

3. Anyway, divide the mixture into two globs and form them into a loaf shape. I wrapped one loaf in foil and threw it in the freezer. I omitted the bacon on the freezer loaf.

4. Place loaf in a baking dish, loaf pan, or cookie sheet with sides (it releases a bit of liquid).

5. Lay the bacon strips across the top of the loaf, cover with foil, and bake for an hour. Check temperature after an hour, remove foil, and bake another 15 minutes, so the bacon can crisp. Meatloaf is done when the internal temp reaches 175 degrees. It took mine about 1 hour and 15 minutes. It will depend on the length and thickness of your loaf (haha!).

Mine looked like this pre-baking:

No comments:

Post a Comment