Monday, February 25, 2013

The BEST Banana Bread Ever!

Three hours of my day I work with at-risk students in a credit recovery program. You can imagine that they are not always the most pleasant youngsters, but for the most part, we've managed to figure things out. They tend to be very guarded by the high school level and if students like this bring you any kind of trinket, you should always be very appreciative.

Well, one day one of my students brought me a slice of banana bread that her mom had made. My grandma is in a bit of a trend where she makes mini-loaves and unloads them on me at every visit. I also make a ton of banana baked goods because we can never seem to get through a bunch of bananas without a few turning brown. But let me tell you, this bread that my student gave me was the BEST I've had. It was sweet, but not cake-like and had a crunchy topping.  I oozed and oozed compliments about this bread and the student (in typical teen manner) just rolled her eyes at me.

Well later that day she had to call home for something and I made sure to tell her "tell you mom that bread was AMAZING! I want the recipe!!"  So the next day, she presents me with a handwritten recipe on the cutest recipe note card. I constantly worry that I'm going to lose this card now that my recipe world is primarily online, so I thought I'd post it here for all of posterity.

I don't have a photo yet because I haven't made a loaf recently...however, after typing this, I probably will and will update with an original photo soon. I just uncovered the card in a pile of papers and figured I better type it now or never!

The BEST Banana Bread Recipe Ever!


Ingredients
- 1 stick unsalted butter at room temp
- 1 cup sugar (yup, that's why it's so good!)
- 2 eggs
- 1.5 cups AP flour (last time I used 1/4 cup whole wheat and the rest AP)
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 cup mashed, very ripe banana
- 1/2 cup sour cream or plain Greek yogurt
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup chopped almonds or pecans, chopped - optional
- Additional sugar to sprinkle on top (course sugar would be the best!) - optional

Directions
1. Preheat over to 350 degrees. Grease a loaf pan (or 4 small loaf pans) and set aside.

2. Cream together butter and sugar until fluffy. Add eggs beating well.

3. Sift dry ingredients together and combine with the butter mixture. Blend well.

4. Add bananas, sour cream (or yogurt), and vanilla. Stir well.

5. Add nuts if desired and mix well.

6. Pour batter into loaf pan(s) and sprinkle with sugar if desired.

7. Bake for 60 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.


No comments:

Post a Comment