Sunday, October 7, 2012

White Bean and Chicken Chili

Nothing says fall and football like chili. My husband loves chili and could probably eat it once a week, but I'm not a huge fan of kidney beans and that often ruins my excitement about chili. So, I decided to make us both happy by coming up with a chicken chili that satisfied his chili craving, but used white beans instead.

White Bean Chicken Chili

photo credit - I adapted this from a recipe in Prevention magazine.

Ingredients
1 Tbs. olive oil
1 rotisserie chicken, shredded
1/2 of a large onion, chopped
2 cans (14.5 oz each) chicken broth (I used homemade, but if you use store-bought I'd go for low-sodium)
1 can (15 oz) cannellini beans (you could use 2 cans if you're bean-crazy), drained
2 garlic cloves, chopped
1 can (4.5 ox) chopped green chilis
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp salt
3/4 tsp oregano
1 Tbsp chili powder
1/8 tsp cayenne

Garnishes: chopped cilantro, shredded cheese, sour cream, avocado, crushed tortilla chips

Directions
1. Heat the oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Saute the onions, garlic, and green chilis about 5 minutes.

2. Add the chicken, broth, beans, and seasonings. Depending on the size of your chicken, you may need to add 1/2-1 cup of water to your pot.

3. Bring to a boil then reduce heat and simmer 10-15 minutes.

4. Garnish with toppings of your choice!


And an idea for left overs!

We had company when we made this, so we had about two bowls-worth leftover. The second day I strained all the liquid then used the meat/veggie mixture as burrito filling! On a burrito-sized flour tortilla I spooned out about 3 tablespoons of brown rice, 1/2 cup of chicken mixture, and a sprinkle of shredded cheese. Then I rolled them up, placed them in a casserole dish, sprayed with cooking spray and baked at 425 for 15 minutes. They came out crispy on the outside and warm and gooey on the inside! I topped the burritos with shredded lettuce, chopped tomatoes, and a dollop of guacamole!  My husband, who is not a fan of leftovers, loved them.

You could also make naked burritos by just spooning the chicken mixture over some rice, then topping with with fixins of your choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment