Sunday, September 9, 2012

DIY Pumpkin Spice Latte

First I noticed a trend in fall-themed recipes and posts on facebook and pinterest and then I noticed, upon driving by, that Starbucks is again offering their pumpkin spice latte. Fall is clearly upon us: back-to-school, football, and cool mornings have arrived. Fall is my absolute favorite time of year so I'm all about commencing with the fall activities ASAP.  So, I thought this weekend was a perfect time to try an at-home pumpkin spice latte. I had everything on hand so that makes this latte way cheaper than a starbucks drink! 

Pumpkin Spice Latte
recipe adapted from recipegirl.com


Ingredients:
1/2 cup milk (half n half, whole, 2%, or skim - the fattier, the creamier - you decide!)
1 tablespoon unsweetened canned pumpkin puree
1 teaspoon packed brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup hot brewed, strong coffee
1 teaspoon granulated white sugar, or more to taste

Optional Toppings:
whipped cream
a drizzle of caramel
ground nutmeg or cinnamon

Directions:
1. In a glass measuring cup or microwave-safe bowl, whisk together milk, pumpkin, brown sugar, spice and vanilla. Microwave for 1 to 2 minutes- watch closely and remove it from the microwave when the milk is hot and frothy.

2. Pour the pumpkin milk into a tall mug or glass. Add hot coffee. Add a teaspoon of sugar. Stir, and taste. Add more sugar, if desired. I filled a tall mug about 2/3 full with coffee and then added the milk mixture. You could do a half-half mix if you aren't a fan of a strong coffee flavor.

3. Optional, but oh so good... add whipped cream on top and a sprinkle of nutmeg. Serve immediately!

*Some tips!
- You could use lowfat milk and then add a tablespoon or two of half n half in step two.  This would cut some fat, but still add back some creaminess.

- I doubled the recipe and then threw the extra in the fridge and have been using it as creamer in my morning coffee. It also goes farther this way because I don't add that much to my coffee.

No comments:

Post a Comment