Thursday, August 9, 2012

Chipotle Chicken Salad

I don't have a picture of this recipe because, last week when I made it for company, we were halfway through polishing off the bowl when I said, "Oh, I should post this online!"  This recipe originally came from Gourmet magazine. I used to have a subscription. I ended up with that subscription because two cute young men came to my door and convinced me that they were competing to win a trip and if I could please buy a magazine subscription from them it would help them earn points. Well, I was young... and they were cute, so I did. Back in those days, I didn't appreciate much that Gourmet had to offer. I was just beginning to cook, but this recipe is one that I tried and it has been a staple around here ever since.

It's light and fresh and perfect for a hot day. In addition, it's pretty easy to throw together. It's one of my husband's favorite recipes of all time. I like it because it doesn't require any cooking and I can whip it up pretty last minute. It requires only about 15 minutes of prep time! Also, it does contain adobo sauce, but the salad is not spicy However, you could add a little more if you like a little kick. The Fritos seem like an odd addition, I realize, but they are what make the meal! Once I substituted crushed tortilla chips and it just wasn't the same.

Chipotle Chicken Salad

1 rotisserie-cooked chicken (2 lb) at room temperature
1 medium white onion, chopped (I have also used chopped green onions in a bind)
1 (15 oz) can black beans, rinsed and drained
1/2 cup packed fresh cilantro sprigs
1 rounded tablespoon canned chipotles in adobo, or to taste
1/3 cup olive oil
1/3 cup fresh lime juice
3/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 teaspoon black pepper
2 firm-ripe avocados, halved, pitted, and chopped (err on the side of firmer, they'll be easier to cut up)
3 oz corn chips such as Fritos (1 1/2 cups)
1 heart of romaine, separated into leaves (optional)

Directions

Remove chicken from bone and chop or shred into medium-large chunks, then toss together with onion and black beans in a large bowl.

Purée cilantro, chipotles, oil, lime juice, salt, and pepper in a blender or food processor, and add to chicken mixture.

Toss chicken mixture with chips. Scoop avocado into chicken mixture with a spoon (basically just do this gently so that you don't mush the avocado up). Serve salad on romaine leaves if you want to be fancy, or just scoop salad into a bowl and enjoy!

Anyone I've ever served this to has loved it. Once my tupperware was passed around the teacher's lounge so everyone could have a taste! 

*Note: The Fritos will get soggy if you store this overnight. On the other hand, they are much yummier when tossed with the dressing. I generally pick them out of my leftovers, then add a handful of fresh ones before eating. They add a salty, crunch which is a great contrast to the avocado, chicken, and bean mixture.

No comments:

Post a Comment